Steven Van Laere, PhD
- Founder, BioCom Consultancy
- Associate Professor, CORE, University of Antwerp
- University of Antwerp
- Prinsstraat 13 2000
- Phone: +32 3 265 41 11
- Fax: +32 3 265 44 20
Research and Clinical Interests
Within the fields of computational biology and bioinformatics, I seek to apply computer algorithms and mathematical methods to answer questions in biology and medicine—specifically in studies of human genetics and genomics. My research centers on four main areas of interest:
1. Deﬁning the molecular signature, and investigating the immune microenvironment in preclinical models and patients samples of inﬂammatory breast cancer. I do this by using computational analysis of mRNA and phosphopeptide proﬁling data in combination with automated image analysis.
2. Establishing a molecular signature for the replacement growth pattern of liver metastases of colorectal adenocarcinomas, in order to elucidate the underlying molecular biology, as well as to identify biomarkers that can be used in clinical practice. Additionally, performing single cell RNA-sequencing of endothelial cells harvested from preclinical models under various stages of anti-angiogenic therapy in order to understand the role of angiocrine signaling in mediating resistance to anti-angiogenic therapy.
3. Establishing the complete transcriptional proﬁle of single circulating tumor cells from patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer, in order to investigate the transcriptional intra-patient heterogeneity and study the biological properties of these cells that allow their survival in the bloodstream.
4. Analyzing genomic and transcriptomic proﬁles of breast cancers to deﬁne integrated subtype-speciﬁc molecular proﬁles.
- Founder of BioCom Consultancy (2016-present)
- Associate Professor at CORE, University of Antwerp; Antwerp (2013-present)
- Associate Professor at the Department of Oncology, KU Leuven; Leuven (2011-2014)
- Research Scientist, GZA; Antwerp (2008-2011)
- Research Assistent, University of Antwerp; Antwerp (2002-2008)
Education and Board Certifications
Medical Sciences/Cancer Biology (2009)
Biomedical Sciences (2002)
Affiliations and Memberships
- Member, IBC International Consortium (2010-present)
- Board member of the International Liver Metastases Research Network (2012-present)
- Member of the International Cancer Genome Consortium (2012-present)
- Member of the Pan Cancer Analysis of Whole Genomes consortium (2014-present)
- President of the scientific committee of the Iridium Cancer Network (2011-2014)
Nuclear factor-kappaB signature of inﬂammatory breast cancer by cDNA microarray validated by quantitative real-time reverse transcription-PCR, immunohistochemistry, and nuclear factor-kappaB DNA-binding
Clinical Cancer Research, 2006
XIAP regulation by MNK links MAPK and NFκB signaling to determine an aggressive breast cancer phenotype
Cancer Research, 2018
Uncovering the molecular secrets of inﬂammatory breast cancer biology: an integrated analysis of three distinct affymetrix gene expression datasets
Clinical Cancer Research, 2013
PDL1 expression in inﬂammatory breast cancer is frequent and predicts for the pathological response to chemotherapy
NOTCH and DNA repair pathways are more frequently targeted by genomic alterations in inﬂammatory than in non-inﬂammatory breast cancers
Molecular Oncology, 2019
Become part of our international consortium of researchers, clinicians, advocates and centers worldwide dedicated to ending IBC.Join >
IBCIC.org makes every effort to keep researcher information as up-to-date as possible.
Contact this researcher to confirm any information regarding his or her profile.